There is nothing more frustrating than going through your messages only to realize that important ones have been accidentally or intentionally deleted. Fortunately, iPhone users can recover deleted messages with ease. In this article, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide on how to recover deleted messages on iPhone. We’ll also explore the use of third-party apps, the iCloud method, and the iTunes method. Additionally, we’ll cover prevention methods and limitations of data recovery. By the end of this article, you’ll be able to recover your lost messages and also prevent future data loss.
One of the easiest ways to recover deleted messages on iPhone is by using the recently deleted function.
- Locate and open the Message app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and look for “Recently Deleted”. Tap on it.
- You will see all the messages that have been deleted in the past 30 days.
- Select the messages you wish to recover, then click “Restore”.
If the messages were deleted over 30 days ago, they will not be in the “Recently Deleted” folder. Don’t worry; there are still ways to recover them.
Another method to recover deleted messages on iPhone is to use third-party apps. While there are various apps available, some of the most popular include:
- Dr. Fone
- iMyFone D-Back
One of the drawbacks of using third-party apps is that they can be expensive. However, some offer a free trial period that can help you recover the messages you need. Keep in mind that using third-party apps can also pose a security risk. Be cautious when granting app permissions and avoid granting permission to apps that seem unsafe.
The iCloud Method
Using the iCloud backup feature is another way to recover deleted messages on iPhone.
- Launch the Settings app, then tap on your name at the top of the screen.
- Select “iCloud” and then “Manage Storage”.
- Find and tap the backup that you wish to recover your messages from.
- Select “Messages” and toggle it on if it isn’t enabled already.
- Restart your iPhone and navigate to the Messages app. Your messages should now be recovered.
Using the iCloud method to recover deleted messages can be tedious as it requires a previous backup. Additionally, using iCloud to recover deleted messages can be problematic if you have set a storage limit on iCloud.
The iTunes Method
The iTunes backup feature can also help you recover deleted messages on your iPhone.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable and open iTunes.
- Select your iPhone, then click “Restore Backup”.
- Choose the backup file that you know contains the deleted messages.
- Click “Restore” and wait for the process to complete.
- Once iTunes is finished restoring the backup, check your iPhone’s Messages app. The deleted messages should now be recovered.
The iTunes method can also be a great way to recover lost messages. However, keep in mind that it requires you to have previously backed up the messages you want to restore.
Limitations of Recovery
Even with the available recovery methods, there are certain limitations that you need to be aware of. Deleted messages cannot be recovered in the following cases:
- The message was deleted permanently, bypassing the Recently Deleted folder.
- Your iPhone doesn’t have a backup.
- The backup is outdated.
- The backup is corrupted.
The above situations mean that restoring messages may be impossible. It is therefore worth noting that regular backups and data recovery plans can help avoid data loss.
Preventing message deletion is better than trying to recover lost messages. Some preventive measures iPhone users can take include:
- Disabling the swipe to delete feature in the Message app settings.
- Regularly backing up all data using iCloud or iTunes.
- Enabling two-factor authentication.
Enabling two-factor authentication can help ensure that only authorized users can access your iPhone and its data. Regular backups can also help you avoid data loss in case messages or other data is deleted from your device.
Losing important messages on your iPhone can be frustrating, but thankfully you can recover deleted messages in a few simple steps. The recently deleted folder, using third-party apps, iCloud, and iTunes are all recovery methods available to every iPhone user. Although these methods are effective, data recovery limitations are present. Additionally, iPhone users can take preventive measures such as backing up data regularly and enabling two-factor authentication to limit data loss.
Hopefully, this article has been helpful in guiding you on how to recover deleted messages on iPhone. Losing messages can be a minor setback, but with our step-by-step guide and tips for prevention, you can stay ahead of data loss in the future.