Are you planning a trip to Myrtle Beach and wondering if the Grand Strand has any casinos? While casino gambling is not legal in South Carolina, there are several options available just across the state line in neighboring North Carolina. In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of casino gambling in Myrtle Beach, review the current casino options available, discuss alternative entertainment options for non-gamblers, and consider the potential impact of future casino development on the local economy and tourism industry.
II. Rolling the Dice on Myrtle Beach: The Pros and Cons of Casino Gambling in the Grand Strand
Before we dive into the current casino options in Myrtle Beach and neighboring areas, let’s first consider the pros and cons of casino gambling in general.
A. Pros of Casino Gambling in Myrtle Beach
There are several potential benefits to allowing casino gambling in Myrtle Beach:
1. Economic benefits
Casinos can generate significant revenue for local governments, boost job creation and economic growth, and draw more tourists to the area. For example, the Cherokee Indian Reservation in North Carolina, home to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort, saw a 69% increase in employment and a 137% increase in total income since the casino opened in 1997.
2. Entertainment opportunities
Casinos offer a unique and exciting form of entertainment for those who enjoy gambling, including slot machines, table games like blackjack and poker, and sports betting. They may also offer live entertainment, dining options, and other amenities that can enhance a vacation experience.
3. Convenience for tourists
For those who enjoy gambling, having a casino nearby can be a convenient way to enjoy their hobby while on vacation without having to travel far from their hotel or rental property.
B. Cons of Casino Gambling in Myrtle Beach
However, there are also potential drawbacks to allowing casino gambling in Myrtle Beach:
1. Social and moral issues
Casino gambling can be addictive and lead to financial and social problems, especially for vulnerable populations like lower-income individuals and seniors. It can also contribute to a culture of greed and materialism, which may conflict with the values of some visitors and residents.
2. Negative effects on local businesses
While casinos can generate revenue and job opportunities, they can also compete with other local businesses and siphon money away from the local economy. Small businesses like restaurants, shops, and bars may struggle to compete with casinos that offer a range of amenities and attract large crowds.
3. Potential increase in crime
Casinos can attract criminal activity like theft, fraud, and money laundering, which can put visitors and locals at risk. They can also contribute to problem gambling and the spread of other vices like drug addiction and prostitution.
III. A Hidden Gem or a Bust? Exploring the Casino Scene in Myrtle Beach
With these pros and cons in mind, let’s take a closer look at the current casino options in Myrtle Beach and neighboring areas.
A. Overview of current casino options in Myrtle Beach
While there are no brick-and-mortar casinos located in Myrtle Beach, there are several options available within a short drive:
- Little River Casino Boats – These floating casinos depart from the Little River Port and offer a variety of games, including roulette, craps, and slot machines.
- The Big M Casino – Another casino boat option that offers a variety of games and dining options.
- Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort – Located in nearby North Carolina, this casino offers over 3,600 slot machines, table games, poker, and sports betting, as well as a luxury hotel, spa, and entertainment venue.
B. Reviews and opinions from locals and tourists who have visited these casinos
Reviews of these casinos are mixed, with some visitors praising the entertainment options and friendly staff, while others complain about the high prices, mediocre food, and lack of winning opportunities.
C. Discussion of the pros and cons of each casino
When considering these casino options, it’s important to weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks discussed above.
IV. No Casino? No Problem! How to Enjoy Myrtle Beach for Non-Gamblers
If you’re not a fan of casino gambling or would prefer to explore other entertainment options during your visit to Myrtle Beach, there are plenty of alternative activities and attractions to enjoy:
A. Alternative entertainment options in Myrtle Beach
- Broadway at the Beach – This outdoor shopping and entertainment complex offers a variety of dining, shopping, and nightlife options, as well as attractions like Ripley’s Aquarium and WonderWorks.
- Myrtle Waves Water Park – Beat the heat at this popular water park, which features a wave pool, lazy river, and a variety of water slides.
- The Carolina Opry – Enjoy live country, rock, and pop music performances at this local theater.
B. Family-friendly activities and attractions
- Mini-golf – Myrtle Beach is known for its many mini-golf courses, which offer fun for the whole family.
- Beaches – Of course, the main attraction in Myrtle Beach is the beautiful sandy shores, which offer opportunities for swimming, sunbathing, and other beach activities.
- Family Kingdom Amusement Park – This classic amusement park features a variety of rides and attractions for all ages, including a Ferris wheel, roller coasters, and a water park.
C. Outdoor recreation opportunities
- Kayaking – Explore the Inlet and other local waterways by kayak, which offers a unique perspective on the area’s wildlife and scenery.
- Hiking and biking – Nearby Myrtle Beach State Park offers over 300 acres of hiking and biking trails, as well as campsites and fishing opportunities.
- Fishing – Fishing charters are available from several local companies, offering opportunities to catch a variety of saltwater fish.
V. The Future of Myrtle Beach: Will Casinos Bring More Prosperity or Problems?
Looking ahead, there are several proposals to bring casino gambling to Myrtle Beach and other areas of South Carolina, including efforts to legalize it through state legislation or a voter referendum. Supporters argue that casinos could provide a major boost to the local economy and create thousands of jobs, while opponents raise concerns about social and moral issues, as well as the potential negative impact on other local businesses.
A. Potential impact of future casino development on the economy and tourism industry
If casino gambling is legalized in Myrtle Beach and other areas, it could generate significant revenue for the state and local governments, and create thousands of jobs in areas like hotel, restaurant, and entertainment. It could also attract more tourists to the area, who would be drawn by the combination of casinos and other attractions like the beach and outdoor recreation opportunities.
B. Potential negative effects and concerns
Skeptics, however, raise concerns about the social and moral issues associated with casino gambling, including addiction, financial problems, and crime. They also argue that casinos could siphon money away from other local businesses, and that the revenue generated by casinos could be offset by the social and public safety costs associated with problem gambling and other vices.
C. Proposed solutions to address potential issues
Proponents and opponents alike suggest solutions to address these concerns, such as setting aside a portion of casino revenue to fund treatment and prevention programs for problem gambling, implementing strict regulations and oversight to prevent criminal activity, and offering tax incentives and other benefits to small businesses affected by casino competition.
VI. Beyond the Beach: Adding Thrills to Your Myrtle Beach Vacation with Casino Gaming
If you’re considering adding casino gaming to your Myrtle Beach vacation, there are several nearby options to explore:
A. Pros and cons of adding casino gaming to your vacation
Consider the pros and cons discussed earlier when deciding whether or not to include casino gaming in your plans.
B. Overview of nearby casino options
- Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort – Located just over 4 hours away by car in Cherokee, North Carolina, this casino features over 3,600 slot machines, table games, poker, and sports betting, as well as a luxury hotel, spa, and entertainment venue.
- Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River Casino & Hotel – This casino, located in Murphy, North Carolina, offers over 1,000 slot machines, table games, and more, as well as a hotel and dining options.
- The Greenbrier – Located in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, this luxury resort and casino offers a wide range of gaming options, as well as dining, shopping, and entertainment opportunities.
C. Tips for responsible gambling
If you do decide to gamble during your Myrtle Beach vacation, be sure to set a budget and stick to it, avoid chasing losses, and take frequent breaks to avoid burnout. And remember, gambling should be treated as a fun and exciting activity, not a means of making money or solving financial problems.
Whether you’re a fan of casino gambling or prefer to enjoy other types of entertainment during your Myrtle Beach vacation, there are plenty of options available for visitors and locals alike. While there are pros and cons to casino gambling, it’s up to each individual to weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks and make an informed decision.
And regardless of your stance on casinos, be sure to explore all that Myrtle Beach has to offer, from its beautiful beaches to its thriving arts and entertainment scene.
So what are you waiting for? Start planning your Myrtle Beach adventure today!
CHECK OUT ARTICLES:
1. Myrtle Beach’s Best Beachfront Hotels, Resorts, and Rentals
2. The Best Myrtle Beach Golf Courses for Beginners and Experts Alike